noun (plural anthemia /-mēə/)
- A flowerlike ornament used in the decorative arts.More example sentences
- Or will the anthemion motif that is liberally stencilled in one shallow recess be applied to the rest of the walls?
- Ornamental motifs such as palmettes, columns, anthemia, and lotuses, all pared down to their essential lines, were frequently used.
- Other panels are decorated with arabesques consisting of delicate scrolls incorporating stylized sunflowers and anthemia rendered in very thin lines of ivory-colored paint.
mid 19th century: from Greek, literally 'flower'.
More definitions of anthemionDefinition of anthemion in:
- The British & World English dictionary