A member of a large class of marine coelenterates (the Anthozoa), such as a sea anemone or coral.
- These anthozoans resemble stony corals but lack skeletons.
- The oldest anthozoans are probably some of the polyp-like and sea pen-like fossils from the Vendian (late Precambrian).
- In addition to their relevance as model organisms for understanding metazoan evolution, anthozoans are ecologically important.
Relating to or denoting anthozoans.
- The origin of such symmetry is not related to the basic anthozoan body plan.
- Additional evidence for a role for estrogen in anthozoan reproduction comes from measurements of estrogen release into seawater prior to or during spawning events.
- Therefore, the anthozoan / dinoflagellate association possesses a CCM, including inducible host CA in proportion to the density of zooxanthellae.
Words that rhyme with anthozoanbryozoan, Goan, hydrozoan, Minoan, protozoan, protozoon, rowan, Samoan, spermatozoon
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of anthozoan in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.