Definition of anthropology in English:
1The study of humankind, in particular.
- The future of applied anthropology cannot ignore the past, just as applied anthropology should not ignore anthropology as a wider field.
- The country has produced important work in biology, medicine, geology, mathematics, physics, genetics, psychology, and anthropology.
- While she majored in dance in college, she also studied French, anthropology, and biology.
1.1 (also cultural or social anthropology) The comparative study of human societies and cultures and their development.
- Had he drawn his explanation of the development of the human young from cultural anthropology rather than ethological studies, he might have constructed a different paradigm of the child's development of early bonds with others.
- So he studied anthropology, inquisitive about human societies and their desires and needs.
- Social and cultural anthropology is the study of common sense.
1.2 (also physical anthropology) The science of human zoology, evolution, and ecology.
- It provides a solid underpinning of evolutionary biology for those who want to explore ecology, anthropology and social evolution anywhere on earth.
- Another important area that will be influenced is anthropology, evolution and human migration.
- The new Cartesianism of cognitive science and biological anthropology provide some contemporary exemplars.
Words that rhyme with anthropologyapology, archaeology (US archeology), astrology, biology, campanology, cardiology, chronology, climatology, cosmology, craniology, criminology, dermatology, ecology, embryology, entomology, epidemiology, etymology, geology, gynaecology (US gynecology), haematology (US hematology), hagiology, horology, hydrology, iconology, ideology, immunology, iridology, kidology, meteorology, methodology, musicology, mythology, necrology, neurology, numerology, oncology, ontology, ophthalmology, ornithology, parasitology, pathology, pharmacology, phraseology, phrenology, physiology, psychology, radiology, reflexology, scatology, Scientology, seismology, semiology, sociology, symbology, tautology, technology, terminology, theology, topology, toxicology, urology, zoology • eulogy • energy • synergy • apogee • liturgy • lethargy
Definition of anthropology in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan