- A medicine (such as penicillin or its derivatives) that inhibits the growth of or destroys microorganisms.More example sentences
- Completing just a five day course of antibiotics or antimalarial drugs is a rare achievement here.
- You may also need to have painkillers, antibiotics, and fluids through a drip.
- You may be given painkillers, antibiotics and mouthwash solutions to take home.
adjectiveBack to top
- Relating to, involving, or denoting antibiotics.More example sentences
- The effect of early antibiotic therapy on this form of infection is unknown.
- If patients fulfill the above criteria, antibiotic therapy should be considered.
- In addition, no antibiotic therapy was administered, as this was a lethal model.
mid 19th century (in the sense 'doubting the possibility of life in a particular environment'): from anti- + Greek biōtikos 'fit for life' (from bios 'life').
More definitions of antibioticDefinition of antibiotic in:
- The British & World English dictionary