Having the effect of retarding or inhibiting the coagulation of the blood.
- Alcohol has two anticoagulant effects which make blood less likely to clot in the wrong place.
- These include a change in the balance between procoagulant and anticoagulant factors in the blood.
- Large amounts of garlic can increase the anticoagulant effects of pharmaceutical blood thinners (warfarin, high dose aspirin).
An anticoagulant substance.
- For unstable angina the treatment is a daily 300 mg dose of aspirin, and injectable anticoagulants such as Heparin are administered in hospital.
- Treatment then continued with a transition to long term use of oral anticoagulants (vitamin K antagonists).
- Examples of anticoagulants include aspirin, heparin, and warfarin.
Definition of anticoagulant in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.