Definition of anticyclone in English:
A weather system with high atmospheric pressure at its center, around which air slowly circulates in a clockwise (northern hemisphere) or counterclockwise (southern hemisphere) direction. Anticyclones are associated with calm, fine weather.
- In summer, the weather associated with anticyclones is usually fine and cloud-free.
- All sorts of weather systems can have an impact, dependent on the location, such as mid-latitude cyclones, subtropical anticyclones, monsoon systems, and tropical cyclones.
- In our hemisphere, areas of high barometric pressure, anticyclones, create winds which circulate anticlockwise.
- Example sentences
- In the quiet anticyclonic periods, after sunny days, come the damaging night frosts.
- These temperature layers are referred to as the lapse rate and anticyclonic conditions are associated with ‘stable’ lapse rates.
- The remote end of the cold front is thus behind the anticyclonic core.
Definition of anticyclone in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan