Definition of antidote in English:
1A medicine taken or given to counteract a particular poison.
- Don't use charcoal tablets that you can buy from pharmacies to treat poisoning yourself - these are for indigestion and flatulence only and the dose is too small to work as an antidote to poisoning.
- We do not know of an antidote to counteract this side effect.
- Furthermore, antidotes to poisons and intensive care may not be available.
1.1Something that counteracts or neutralizes an unpleasant feeling or situation: laughter is a good antidote to stress
More example sentences
- As an antidote to this situation, I believe it is necessary to view the Zen world, its hierarchy, and authority figures through a theoretical framework separate from Zen.
- The antidote to such a situation is to seek to discover what the total Scriptural teaching on any particular subject is, and also to view it in relation to the other doctrines of Scripture.
- This introduces hope - the antidote to stress - into the situation.
1.2(In homeopathy) a substance that cancels or opposes the effect of a remedy.
- Some substances like camphor are considered a general antidote to many homeopathic medicines and should therefore be avoided or taken into account.
- Each remedy has an antidote, another remedy that cancels its effect.
- Coffee is another common homeopathic antidote.
verb[with object] (antidotes, antidoting, antidoted) Back to top
Counteract or cancel with an antidote: What remedy will antidote henbane?
More example sentences
- If you're trying to find ways of antidoting well known problems via software architecture, that's quite interesting.
- Chinese people believe that the hot pot produces ‘hot’ food which might arouse the inner poisons of the eaters, and this Sichuan tea is ‘cool’ and refreshing, capable of antidoting the poisons.
- This very generous and considerate article has antidoted all things that have gone before.
- Example sentences
- Duck's blood is a good antidotal food, with special effects in the treatment of diarrhoea and nausea.
- On occasion, though, the films do rise above their antidotal mandate.
- After all, there is only some antidotal evidence to show the connection between the measles and MS.