- On one hand, Luther condemned Agricola's antinomian theology for its rejection of the law in the Christian life.
- He rejects antinomian ideas and upholds the believer's responsibility to co-operate with God in sanctification.
- Oddly enough, with the exception of those related to sex, American Christians tend to take an antinomian view of ‘physical sins.’
- I don't think you made a real distinction between eternal security and perseverance of the saints in your article, and yes, dealing with antinomians has made me sensitive to that.
- Liberals find it necessary to deny recurring suspicions that they are antinomians, moral relativists, and secularists set on removing religious values from the public square.
- Why should parents fund the moral decivilization of their children at the hands of tenured antinomians?
- Example sentences
- There are the two extremes of legalism and antinomianism to avoid.
- The history of the Church, Coughlin notes, displays periods of both legalism and antinomianism.
- The church that once accused Luther's teachings of antinomianism has consistently made room for repeat offenders, the kind of sinners whom Protestants are quick to remove from church rolls.
Mid 17th century: from medieval Latin Antinomi, the name of a 16th-century sect in Germany alleged to hold this view, from Greek anti- 'opposite, against' + nomos 'law'.
Definition of antinomian in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.