noun (plural antiphonaries)
- A collection of antiphons.More example sentences
- Business had invaded the cloisters, where, in lieu of antiphonaries, fat ledgers lay on the lecterns.
- As we shall see, the antiphonaries and graduals of Santa Maria del Fiore include illuminations that are clearly Medicean in their iconographic details.
- This comprises choir psalters for the Eucharist, breviaries and antiphonaries as well as missals, lectionaries and graduales, which were used during mass.
early 17th century: from ecclesiastical Latin antiphonarium, from antiphona (see antiphon).
More definitions of antiphonaryDefinition of antiphonary in:
- The British & World English dictionary