Definition of antipsychotic in English:
(Chiefly of a drug) used to treat psychotic disorders.
- The manic episodes of bipolar disorder are often treated using antipsychotic drugs (sometimes called neuroleptics).
- Our review identified only five trials evaluating use of oral atypical antipsychotic drugs to treat the behavioural and psychological symptoms of dementia.
- The prevalence of sexual dysfunction in men and women treated with antipsychotic drugs is high; however, the contribution of hyperprolactinaemia and secondary hypogonadism needs to be determined.
nounBack to top
An antipsychotic drug.
- The drugs used for schizophrenia are antipsychotics or neuroleptics (major tranquillizers).
- The drug list included all available antidepressants, antianxiety agents, antipsychotics, and anticonvulsants.
- The newer antipsychotics that drug makers introduced in the 1990s allegedly cause fewer neurological side effects.
Definition of antipsychotic in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.