noun (plural antiquaries)
- another term for antiquarian.More example sentences
- Most of the owners of Egyptian material appear to have been inquisitive antiquaries rather than aristocratic virtuosi seeking works of art for their country houses.
- The antiquary John Aubrey, writing in the seventeenth century, cited a report that Shakespeare ‘had been in his younger years a schoolmaster in the country’.
- My dear friend the Barbadian antiquary has given me a thoughtful and useful present.
mid 16th century: from Latin antiquarius, from antiquus (see antique).
More definitions of antiquaryDefinition of antiquary in:
- The British & World English dictionary