Definition of antiseptic in English:
1Of, relating to, or denoting substances that prevent the growth of disease-causing microorganisms.
- It is likely that you will be prescribed antibiotics and an antiseptic mouthwash to reduce the risk of your implant becoming infected.
- He or she may also recommend an antiseptic mouthwash that helps prevent plaque forming.
- These treatments have antifungal and antiseptic properties.
1.1(Of medical techniques) based on the use of antiseptic substances.
- The common explanation is that women died in childbirth until doctors began using antiseptic techniques to deliver babies.
- Surgical antiseptic techniques are now the go.
- Its inventor, Jordan Lambert, named it Listerine in honor of Dr. Joseph Lister, the pioneer of antiseptic surgery.
2Scrupulously clean or pure, especially so as to be bland or characterless: the antiseptic modernity of a conference center
More example sentences
- It's good to see computer - generated images of how the original and intact building looked, before going to see the clean and rather antiseptic ruin.
- Lighting was selected to brighten without glaring, and displays were designed to be neat and clean, but not antiseptic.
- It was a bit too clean and antiseptic to be really considered an evil lair.
nounBack to top
An antiseptic compound or preparation.
- Catheters impregnated with antiseptics and coated with antibiotics are now available.
- The lesion had not responded to self prescribed topical antibiotics and antiseptics.
- Semmelweis documented the importance of antiseptics in clinical medicine; the importance of biocides in the domicile environment remains to be determined.
- Example sentences
- Her blotter is crisp, doodle-free, as antiseptically intimidating as the crinkly butcher rolls doctors use on examination tables.
- There is a push and pull on many of the tracks that they produce: the listener wants to embrace the diva and the words she sings, but is pulled away by the too-perfect sounds rinsed antiseptically clean.
- The antiseptically white walls of the new galleries contrast with murkier spaces where the original concrete structure and chunky octagonal columns have been retained.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan