Definition of antitoxin in English:
An antibody that counteracts a toxin.
- Human science employs somewhat similar procedures to produce what are called antitoxins, protein antibodies, to certain microorganisms.
- Some antibodies are antitoxins, which directly neutralize any toxins secreted by the antigens.
- For example, antitoxins, like tetanus antitoxin, are made by injecting horses with a small amount of the toxin so that the animal produces the antibodies.
- Example sentences
- It is a very important folk medicine in Taiwan, and is reported to have antineoplastic, antitoxic and immunoenhancing properties, as well as for treating malignancies.
- The pharmacological or biochemical mechanism of this antitoxic action has not yet been proved.
- It is also highly potent as an antitoxic agent in exogenous poisoning, organic and inorganic.
Definition of antitoxin in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.