Definition of antonym in English:
A word opposite in meaning to another (e.g., bad and good).
- The thesaurus provides synonyms, antonyms and related words, and is accessed by just right-clicking on the word to be looked up, and selecting ‘Thesaurus’ from the right-mouse menu.
- What exactly are the differences between synonyms, antonyms, and homonyms?
- The words aren't precise antonyms, but they're somewhat close to it.
- Example sentences
- The intention has not been to define or discriminate them, but to arrange them in synonymous and antonymous groups; it serves as both a word-finder and a prompter of the memory regarding words one knows but could not recall to mind.
- We pick up the occasional word - ‘ethical… responsible… trustworthy’ - and we sense that Bill is compiling an antonymous description of the young man.
- So whatever is meant by absolutism is antonymous to relativism.
Words that rhyme with antonymeponym • acronym
Definition of antonym in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan