- The main artery of the body, supplying oxygenated blood to the circulatory system. In humans it passes over the heart from the left ventricle and runs down in front of the backbone.More example sentences
- At this time, the surgeon begins to develop a dissection plane between the aorta and the pulmonary artery.
- In an embryo, the aorta and the pulmonary artery are initially a single vessel.
- The pump device works by assisting the function of the left ventricle, improving blood supply to the aorta and so to the rest of the body.
- More example sentences
- On the left, between the left ventricle and the aorta, is the aortic valve.
- On examination, your doctor may feel a pulsating mass in your abdomen which may be tender if an abdominal aortic aneurysm is large.
- Smoking is the most important risk factor to be modified in patients with an abdominal aortic aneurysm.
mid 16th century: from Greek aortē (used in the plural by Hippocrates for the branches of the windpipe, and by Aristotle for the great artery), from aeirein 'raise'.
More definitions of aortaDefinition of aorta in:
- The British & World English dictionary