- A widely occurring pale green to purple mineral, consisting of calcium phosphate with some fluorine, chlorine, and other elements. It is used in the manufacture of fertilizers.More example sentences
- Magnetite, apatite, titanite and zircon make up the accessory minerals.
- Some calcareous veins contain epidote, titanite and apatite.
- The next few pockets yielded only dark blue apatite and clear to smoky to pale citrine quartz.
early 19th century: coined in German from Greek apatē 'deceit' (from the mineral's diverse forms and colors).
More definitions of apatiteDefinition of apatite in:
- The British & World English dictionary