Definition of aphaeresis in English:
1 Linguistics The loss of a sound or sounds at the beginning of a word, e.g., in the derivation of adder from nadder.
- In some words initial e has been lost by aphaeresis: squire from esquire, sample from example, state from estate.
- When the indefinite article was being restored to its separate existence, the word ‘atomy’ was falsely coined from ‘anatomy’ through aphaeresis, by the removal of the supposed indefinite article.
2 Medicine The removal of blood plasma from the body by the withdrawal of blood, its separation into plasma and cells, and the reintroduction of the cells, used especially to remove antibodies in treating autoimmune diseases.
- Another method used for separating out some of the components of blood consists of a technique known as apheresis.
- Removing blood stem cells from your blood during apheresis doesn't hurt.
- Platelets collected by apheresis were counted as single units.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan