A minute bug that feeds by sucking sap from plants. It reproduces rapidly, often producing live young without mating, and may live in large colonies that cause extensive damage to crops.
- Superfamily Aphidoidea, suborder Homoptera
More example sentences
- The gardener's friend, the busy little ladybird helps by eating aphids and greenfly.
- As a group, aphids attack a plant by sucking its fluids from tender new growth.
- Keep a look out for aphids on tender young growth or on plants that are stressed and unhappy.
late 19th century: back-formation from aphides, plural of aphis.
Definition of aphid in:
- The British & World English dictionary