- A minute bug that feeds by sucking sap from plants. It reproduces rapidly, often producing live young without mating, and may live in large colonies that cause extensive damage to crops.
More example sentences
- Superfamily Aphidoidea, suborder Homoptera
- The gardener's friend, the busy little ladybird helps by eating aphids and greenfly.
- As a group, aphids attack a plant by sucking its fluids from tender new growth.
- Keep a look out for aphids on tender young growth or on plants that are stressed and unhappy.
late 19th century: back-formation from aphides, plural of aphis.
More definitions of aphidDefinition of aphid in:
- The British & World English dictionary