noun (plural aphides /ˈāfiˌdēz, ˈafi-/)
- An aphid, especially one of the genus Aphis.More example sentences
- The leaf-hopper can be disposed of in the same fashion as the aphides and slugs above mentioned.
- In passing under a tree infested with aphides the drops can be felt like a fine rain.
- Various parasites such as lice, ticks, mites, aphides and chiggers attack untreated and unprotected animals and plants.
late 18th century: modern Latin, from Greek, perhaps a misreading of koris 'bug' (misinterpreting the Greek characters κορ 'kor' as αφ 'aph').
More definitions of aphisDefinition of aphis in:
- The British & World English dictionary