- 1A food, drink, or drug that stimulates sexual desire: the Romans worshiped the apple as an aphrodisiac [as adjective]: aphrodisiac powersMore example sentences
- For example, alcohol is commonly viewed as an aphrodisiac that increases sexual desire and capacity.
- In spite of its name, it is neither a stimulant nor an aphrodisiac.
- The meal was vegetarian and lacked most spices, since certain foods are mild aphrodisiacs and monks supposedly lead celibate lives.
- 1.1A thing that causes excitement: for a few seconds she’d fallen for the powerful aphrodisiac of music power is an aphrodisiacMore example sentences
- He swiftly realised that a man with a guitar was a powerful aphrodisiac.
- That's the price of power that these folks, who think of power as the ultimate aphrodisiac, are more than willing to pay.
- Fame may indeed be the ultimate aphrodisiac, but for Dee, getting it turns out to be A Sweet Sickness.
early 18th century: from Greek aphrodisiakos, from aphrodisios, from Aphroditē (see Aphrodite).