Definition of aphtha in English:
noun (plural aphthae-THē)Medicine
1A small ulcer occurring in groups in the mouth or on the tongue.
- Several conditions should be considered in the differential diagnosis when evaluating patients with recurrent aphthae.
- Recurrent aphthae constitute the most common oral mucosal disease and affects up to 25% of the population.
- Herpetiform aphthae often appear in the back of the mouth, and usually heal within a month.
- Example sentences
- Also known as aphthous ulcers or aphthous stomatitis, canker sores are small sores that can occur inside a person's mouth, cheeks, lips, throat, or sometimes on the tongue.
- The medical term for canker sores is aphthous ulcers.
- He also had painful aphthous ulceration of his oral mucosa and genitalia.
Definition of aphtha in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.