- Yet despite my dismissive attitude towards apocalyptic theories and prophesies, last year's Y2K version did somewhat discomfort me.
- Climate change is the environmental fear that provokes the greatest degree of apocalyptic prophesy.
- His writing is apocalyptic in feel, describing a gritty futuristic world in which dream meets reality.
- Do you not realise the serious catastrophic, apocalyptic implications if he is correct?
- We have had a storm of apocalyptic proportions this morning, with gale force winds and torrential rain for hours.
- Again, the only real cure to this neurosis, which is apparently taking on apocalyptic proportions, would be for him to feel good about himself.
- The closest the FBI gets to a motive for the smallpox attack is an apocalyptic Biblical passage left behind by the terrorist.
- The other times I see him focusing on his artwork while attending the San Francisco Academy of Art and creating his war-torn, apocalyptic imagery that needs few words to explain.
- There is nothing, in short, inherently Jewish or Christian or Muslim about apocalyptic imagery.
- Example sentences
- We gazed across the loch at Ben Lomond, which for once, in this apocalyptically bad summer, was gloriously free from cloud and touched lightly by skinny bands of sunlight.
- It reduced scores of buildings to dust, ignited fires that raged apocalyptically for four days, and cut San Francisco off from all outside communication.
- But the poet's vision darkens apocalyptically in The Lice, which seems written under the shadow of planetary extinction.
Early 17th century (as a noun denoting the writer of the Apocalypse, St. John): from Greek apokaluptikos, from apokaluptein 'uncover' (see apocalypse).
Words that rhyme with apocalypticcryptic, diptych, elliptic, glyptic, styptic, triptych
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.