- 1Without feet or having undeveloped feet.More example sentences
- There are many kinds of lizards - quick, rocky, multi-coloured, Crimean lizards and the apodal lizard with a yellow belly.
- The Labyrinthodonta for the most part resemble the Urodela in the proportions of the tail and limbs to the body, but some (as Ophiderpeton) were serpentiform, and apparently apodal; no raniform Labyrinthodonts have yet been discovered.
- 1.1(Of fish) without ventral fins.More example sentences
- On the deep sea bottom of the central Red Sea, a carcharhinid deep water shark, Iago omanensis, and the apodal fish Muraenesox cinereus were captured by means of a photo trap in a depth of 740 m.
- Apodal fish have bony gills and no ventral fins.
early 19th century: from Greek apous, apod- 'footless' (from a- 'without' + pous, pod- 'foot') + -ous.