Definition of aponeurosis in English:
noun (plural aponeuroses /-ˌsēz/)Anatomy
A sheet of pearly-white fibrous tissue that takes the place of a tendon in sheetlike muscles having a wide area of attachment.
- The superficial branch, which forms the superficial palmer arch, descends a short distance into the palm and curves toward the thumb between the palmer aponeurosis and flexor tendons to form an arch.
- The transection of the flexor tendons and the aponeurosis was an unavoidable consequence of these limitations and was standardized in all specimens.
- The tendon of plantaris is still located between the aponeuroses of soleus and gastrocnemius.
- Example sentences
- The ulnar or deep head (accessory head) arises by an aponeurotic band from the medial border of the coronoid process of the ulna, medial to the tendon of the brachialis muscle.
- The fibular origin of the flexor digitorum longus muscle was resilient, with its tough aponeurotic fibers requiring incision to access the tibialis posterior muscle.
- The calcifying aponeurotic fibroma7 has a predilection for the distal extremities; the cartilaginous component is microscopic and embedded within a fibromatosis-like background.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan