Definition of aposematic in English:
1(Of coloration or markings) serving to warn or repel predators.
- Alternatively, they may be used to signal to predators, the classic example being aposematic coloration in species that have noxious defenses, such as skunks.
- Arthropods smaller than 1 mm, ants, isopods, and arthropods with aposematic colorations were excluded from the counts because these are rarely consumed by insectivorous birds.
- Future research into the possible role of aposematic coloration in vascular plants could greatly expand our knowledge of plant/herbivore interactions.
1.1(Of an animal) having aposematic coloration or markings.
- Additionally, taxonomically troubling taxa such as Crataegus makes identification and quantification of aposematic species extremely difficult.
- Birds with prior experience of both prey types were allowed into an arena with both palatable prey and aposematic prey on backgrounds that either closely matched or contrasted with the coloration of the aposematic prey.
- To further investigate the effects of prey contrast on predator behavior, I conducted an experiment with young chicks (Gallus gallus domesticus) as predators on live aposematic and nonaposematic prey.
- Example sentences
- Thus, although aposematism is common (96% of armed plants), it is not present in all physically armed plants even in closely related taxa (S. Lev-Yadun, pers. comm.).
- The present study was originally carried out to compare the larval bioluminescence of L. noctiluca with the color of light-emitting diodes that were used to mimic larval glows in experiments on bioluminescent aposematism.
- Hypothesized forces selecting for coloration in sponges include aposematism (warning coloration), as has been shown in a variety of marine and terrestrial organisms, and photoprotection.
Definition of aposematic in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India