Definition of apparition in English:
1A ghost or ghostlike image of a person.
- Throughout history there have been reports of ghosts, apparitions and spiritual visitations, both angelic and demonic.
- The use of the supernatural in the witches, the visions, the ghost, and the apparitions is a key element in making the concept of the play work and in making the play interesting.
- They thought He was a ghost, a phantasm, an apparition, a spirit, anything except their Master.
1.1The appearance of something remarkable or unexpected, typically an image of this type: twentieth-century apparitions of the Virgin
More example sentences
- This explanation would explain why many apparitions appear to work like a pre-recorded message.
- Then, out of nowhere a bus appeared like an apparition.
- Devotion to Mary was based on shrines inherited from the medieval era and the Counter-Reformation, but was fuelled as well by a remarkable series of apparitions that produced some of the most famous religious sites in the modern world.
- Example sentences
- The patch of wild raspberries, whose location is known only to us and to the apparitional gamekeeper, is laden with fruit.
- Altogether there were 21 apparitional sightings, 4 involving two viewers.
- ‘Life is apparitional and passes,’ the passage begins.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan