1A pie made with apples.
- For dessert the apple pie a la mode with ice-cream proved a firm favourite with my companion after fending off tough competition from the fresh fruit pavlova.
- With the offer of dessert, Madame went for the apple pie and ice cream, which arrived in a huge bowl - and was ceremoniously eaten to the last morsel.
- In fact, I'm going to reward myself now, by having done 165 extra words today by eating a whole apple pie or big sticky toffee pudding.
1.1North American Used to represent a cherished ideal of comfort and familiarity: to say I’m fed up with the Olympics is like being against motherhood and apple pie
More example sentences
- Like motherhood and apple pie, policing is something a city can't help but get behind - philosophically and financially.
- This statement, with its aspects of ‘motherhood and apple pie,’ is one I fully agree with.
- For some politicians, it's as easy as a vote for motherhood and apple pie.
as American as apple pie
- North American Typically American in character.Example sentences
- If violence, as the saying goes, is as American as apple pie, it's also been as common in American movie theaters as popcorn.
- French fries are at least as American as apple pie.
- Ironically, financially, and in terms of their behavior, they're often as American as apple pie.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: ap·ple pie
Definition of apple pie in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.