noun (plural appoggiaturas or appoggiature /-ˈto͝orā/)Music
- A grace note performed before a note of the melody and falling on the beat.More example sentences
- For example, if the appoggiatura is written as an eighth-note, then the appoggiatura should take an eighth-note value from the main note.
- In his effort to successfully attain variation of material, as well as timbre imitation, he employs a wide variety of ornaments such as mordents, trills, broken chords and appoggiaturas.
- Later developments included the adoption of standard signs for such frequently used ornaments as appoggiaturas, mordents, slides, trills, or turns.
Italian, from appoggiare 'lean upon, rest'.
More definitions of appoggiaturaDefinition of appoggiatura in:
- The British & World English dictionary