- Of or relating to apposition.More example sentences
- By virtue of the appositional relation, ‘the crime’ is elaborated as ‘shoplifting’, while ‘shoplifting’ is categorized as ‘a crime’.
- Opting for an unusually loose, appositional syntax which strings together phrases or clauses that come at a phenomenon from different angles, he manages to give a sensuous concreteness to abstract concepts.
- The complex appositional NP in the pledge does commit the pledger to a number of claims: that the USA is a single nation, located under God in some sense, indivisible, having liberty for all, and having justice for all.
nounBack to top
- A term standing in apposition.More example sentences
- The parenthetic principle functions as appositional, alongside, but also foundational, rendering a more emphatic assertion unnecessary.
More definitions of appositionalDefinition of appositional in:
- The British & World English dictionary