Definition of appraise in English:
- But to my way of thinking, meta-analysis provides a more important secondary benefit of critically appraising the quality of the data entered into its review.
- It should appraise the quality of the evidence and decide whether that justifies the conclusion reached eg, whether it justifies a conclusion that the applicant obtained permission to entry by fraud or deceit.
- When is the right time to appraise the quality of the suggestions made by respondents?
- We have no law that states people can buy a house only after it has been appraised by a valuer, and that people are not allowed to throw their money away on a farm that will not produce.
- An official agency has appraised the top value at $20,000 per square foot, although this may be puffed up.
- Banks engaged registered valuers to appraise a property before they lent on it, and while the buyers paid for that valuer, the banks usually did not allow the buyers to see it.
price from (Middle English):
The medieval word pris, which was from Old French, meant not only ‘price’ but also ‘prize’ and ‘praise’. Over time these three meanings split into three different words. Pris became price, and the meaning ‘praise’ started to be spelled preise and then praise. Originally simply an alternative way of spelling price, prize too became a separate word. The Latin original of the French was pretiem ‘price’ which also lies behind appreciate (mid 18th century), and the related appraise (mid 16th century) and apprize (mid 16th century), all with the basic sense of ‘set a price to’; depreciate (mid 17th century); and precious (Middle English).
- Example sentences
- I was with a collector and his support group of experts and appraisers last year.
- In addition to job performance, appraisers are expected to evaluate employees' personal qualities such as sincerity, loyalty, and attitude towards their work, which are difficult to measure.
- Business appraisers may find cluster analysis useful for purposes of applying market approaches to the determination of business enterprise value.
- Example sentences
- The president looked at him appraisingly, several people in the room recall.
- Papa loved to tell the story of the way he'd circled the piece appraisingly while the salesman talked.
- Jesse cocked a eyebrow and looked at him appraisingly.
Words that rhyme with appraiseablaze, amaze, baize, Blaise, blaze, braise, broderie anglaise, chaise, craze, daze, écossaise, erase, faze, gaze, glaze, graze, Hayes, Hays, haze, laze, liaise, lyonnaise, maize, malaise, Marseillaise, mayonnaise, Mays, maze, phase, phrase, polonaise, praise, prase, raise, raze, upraise
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.