Definition of aquaponics in English:
plural noun[treated as singular]
A system of aquaculture in which the waste produced by farmed fish or other aquatic animals supplies nutrients for plants grown hydroponically, which in turn purify the water: thanks to its automatic recirculating system, aquaponics does not require much monitoring or measuring
More example sentences
- Still in its infancy, aquaponics is following a steady upward growth curve.
- Although aquaponics is seen primarily as providing a valuable twin crop for commercial hydroponic growers, Chapman says the dual system is also an opportunity for backyard hobbyists
- A new indoor fish-growing and aquaponics facility will enable inmates to grow fish for meals and produce fertilizer that will allow them to grow produce year-round.
- Example sentences
- The project provides entrepreneur training, startup assistance, and regional marketing for future "aquaponic" operations in eastern Kentucky.
- The barge also features some aquaponic techniques, which rely on the natural give and take between creatures and plants.
- Their aquaponic greenhouses would be built in vacant lots and on rooftops.
Definition of aquaponics in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan