Definition of aquarelle in English:
1A style of painting using thin, typically transparent, watercolors.
- In order to be topical, the exhibited painters were given the option of working with water-based techniques (acrylic, aquarelle, tempera, etc.).
- She studied Graphic Art in Munich and during a three year-stay in California continued work-study in aquarelle, printing and ceramics.
- He studied aquarelle in London and went to Italy on Scholarship.
1.1A painting made by using the aquarelle style.
- In her tiny showing, her rose paintings seem as wispy as the aquarelles of some cooing Edwardian maiden lady celebrating the beauties of copse and dell.
- It is indeed a masterpiece of delicate and polished orchestration and as he said, an aquarelle by a great landscape painter.
- A long month later he returned my description and aquarelle of ‘rossica Nabokov’ with only two words scribbled on the back of my letter; ‘bucovinensis Hormuzaki.’
Mid 19th century: from French, from Italian acquarella 'watercolor', diminutive of acqua, from Latin aqua 'water'.
Words that rhyme with aquarelleAdele, Aix-la-Chapelle, artel, au naturel, bagatelle, béchamel, befell, bell, belle, boatel, Brunel, Cadell, carousel, cartel, cell, Chanel, chanterelle, clientele, Clonmel, compel, Cornell, crime passionnel, dell, demoiselle, dispel, dwell, el, ell, Estelle, excel, expel, farewell, fell, Fidel, fontanelle, foretell, Gabrielle, gazelle, gel, Giselle, hell, hotel, impel, knell, lapel, mademoiselle, maître d'hôtel, Manuel, marcel, matériel, mesdemoiselles, Michel, Michelle, Miguel, misspell, morel, moschatel, Moselle, motel, muscatel, nacelle, Nell, Nobel, Noel, organelle, outsell, Parnell, pell-mell, personnel, propel, quell, quenelle, rappel, Raquel, Ravel, rebel, repel, Rochelle, Sahel, sardelle, sell, shell, show-and-tell, smell, Snell, spell, spinel, swell, tell, undersell, vielle, villanelle, well, yell
Definition of aquarelle in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.