Definition of aquarium in English:
noun (plural aquariums or aquaria /-ēə/)
1A transparent tank of water in which fish and other water creatures and plants are kept.
- On the whole, it's a gift in the hands of those who were fed up of purchasing the typical type of aquaria with just water and fishes.
- It is Goldfishes of all size, shape, and colour that were mostly found in the fresh water aquariums at the show.
- The orchids were delicate and beautiful and the aquarium and aquatic plants awesome.
1.1A building containing aquariums, especially one that is open to the public.
- Tour seven aquariums, housing such species as Atlantic stingrays, sea horses, crabs, blennies, flounder, and puffer fish.
- In Swakopmund the ministry is located in the double-storey beach-front building next to the aquarium.
- Up to that point, traditional aquariums offered views of segregated species through small fish tank windows.
mid 19th century: from Latin, neuter of aquarius 'of water', on the pattern of vivarium.
Definition of aquarium in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia