Definition of aquarium in English:
noun (plural aquariums or aquaria /-ēə/)
1A transparent tank of water in which fish and other water creatures and plants are kept.
- On the whole, it's a gift in the hands of those who were fed up of purchasing the typical type of aquaria with just water and fishes.
- It is Goldfishes of all size, shape, and colour that were mostly found in the fresh water aquariums at the show.
- The orchids were delicate and beautiful and the aquarium and aquatic plants awesome.
1.1A building containing aquariums, especially one that is open to the public.
- Tour seven aquariums, housing such species as Atlantic stingrays, sea horses, crabs, blennies, flounder, and puffer fish.
- In Swakopmund the ministry is located in the double-storey beach-front building next to the aquarium.
- Up to that point, traditional aquariums offered views of segregated species through small fish tank windows.
mid 19th century: from Latin, neuter of aquarius 'of water', on the pattern of vivarium.
Definition of aquarium in:
- British & World English dictionary