Definition of aquilegia in English:
A plant of the buttercup family, bearing showy flowers with backward-pointing spurs. Native to temperate regions of the northern hemisphere, it is widely grown in gardens.
- Genus Aquilegia, family Ranunculaceae. See also columbine
- I have beds full of wild strawberries at Brockhole and there are ferns and aquilegias elsewhere in the garden that I can transplant into the hedge.
- During her long life she gardened in Buckinghamshire and studied genetics at Cambridge before trying her hand at hybridising various flowers, including aquilegias.
- However it has helped me decide how to replant the somewhat shady, sheltered bed on one side of my garden: lots of hellebores, aquilegia, ferns, and variegated ivy creeping up the wall of my neighbour's extension wall.
Definition of aquilegia in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.