Definition of Arabist in English:
1A person who studies Arabic civilization or language.
- In casting off Western civilization, Thesiger gained admittance to one of the most elite and self-consciously literary tribes in modern English writing - the British Arabists.
- He is among the best of the Western reporters now in the Middle East in part because he is an Arabist.
- Traveller, Arabist, and great Victorian outsider, Burton joined the Indian army in 1842.
1.1A person who supports Arab nationalism or political interests.
- However, in a deeply philosophical sense, the actions of both the Arabists in the Arab world and the Unionists in Turkey were an expression of a larger problem: the decay and final disintegration of the Ottoman empire.
- Napoleon hired a group of Arabs and Arabists who would translate a series of pronouncements.
- Too bad his analysis is rejected, out of hand, by most Arabists.
Definition of Arabist in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.