Definition of aracari in English:
noun (plural aracaris)
A small toucan with a serrated bill, and typically with a green back and wings, yellow underside, and red rump.
- Genus Pteroglossus, family Ramphastidae: several species
- And you could not help but notice the birds - toucanetes, oropendulas, parakeets, aracaris, hummingbirds
- They are classified in the same genealogical family as the toucanet - a smaller version of the toucan - and the aracari - which has a differently shaped beak, and is smaller than the toucan.
- The seller in the photo is peddling collared aracaris to passersby.
Early 19th century: via Portuguese from Tupi arasa'ri.
Definition of aracari in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.