Definition of aracari in English:
noun (plural aracaris)
A small toucan with a serrated bill, and typically with a green back and wings, yellow underside, and red rump.
- Genus Pteroglossus, family Ramphastidae: several species
- And you could not help but notice the birds - toucanetes, oropendulas, parakeets, aracaris, hummingbirds
- They are classified in the same genealogical family as the toucanet - a smaller version of the toucan - and the aracari - which has a differently shaped beak, and is smaller than the toucan.
- The seller in the photo is peddling collared aracaris to passersby.
early 19th century: via Portuguese from Tupi arasa'ri.
Definition of aracari in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan