1A covered passageway with arches along one or both sides.
- The arcade became an important passageway between Fox Street and the square.
- Internal walkways are two-level trellised arcades which visually unify the entire Hebrew Union Complex.
- Water would play an important role, often in the form of crossing channels or a pool in which porticoes and arcades linked to the surrounding house or buildings would be reflected.
1.1A covered walk with stores along one or both sides.
- Moves to demolish Stonegate Walk - the L-shaped arcade of 23 shops linked by alleyways to Stonegate and Blake Street - began yesterday.
- On her way home she walked past the arcade of shops that lined the quiet street.
- Not long ago in Penrith, as I walked through the arcade near the George Hotel, I came across a display of all sorts of baskets.
1.2 Architecture A series of arches supporting a wall, or set along it.
- The ceilings of the new and larger part of the palace are vaulted throughout, with each support terminating in a stone pendant, giving the impression of a continuous series of blind arcades running along each wall.
- The regimented orthogonality of the exterior extends to the perimeter offices, which are edged by a series of arcades lined with redoak veneer.
- Archetypal forms such as porches, arcades and conservatories animate external edges, while courtyards and atria bring light and air into deep plans.
2 short for video arcade.
- To give you a sense of this figure, Americans spent less on music, movies, arcades, books and amusement parks combined.
- The Gaiety, Marshalls Amusements and another arcade all applied for planning permission and got it, but can go no further with the project until the Government makes a decision over licences.
- On the other side of the arcade, Melissa and Joseph played Street Fighter
- Example sentences
- The Hollies, with arcaded brickwork arches at the front, has two reception rooms and a ‘dairy ‘or pantry that could be turned into a utility room.’
- The modern farm has no place for the 19 th-century classic steading, built to a formula with arcaded cart sheds, threshing mill, barn, byres and cattle court around a U-shaped courtyard.
- The most important room on view is the Harem, a compound of around 300 shining tiled chambers on several levels, connected by arcaded courts and fountain gardens.
- Example sentences
- Some of the tower's best surviving medieval architecture can be found inside, such as decorative arcading along the walls.
- 100 years ago, an important discovery was made during restoration work to the nave arcading on the north side of Holy Trinity Church in Micklegate, which had been walled up for several centuries.
- By 1300 the arch and gable motif was ubiquitous on wall arcading, tombs, shrine bases, ivories, and liturgical furnishings, the largest and most prominent of which were painted altarpieces.
Words that rhyme with arcadeabrade, afraid, aid, aide, ambuscade, balustrade, barricade, Belgrade, blade, blockade, braid, brigade, brocade, cannonade, carronade, cascade, cavalcade, cockade, colonnade, crusade, dissuade, downgrade, enfilade, esplanade, evade, fade, fusillade, glade, grade, grenade, grillade, handmade, harlequinade, homemade, invade, jade, lade, laid, lemonade, limeade, made, maid, man-made, marinade, masquerade, newlaid, orangeade, paid, palisade, parade, pasquinade, persuade, pervade, raid, serenade, shade, Sinéad, staid, stockade, stock-in-trade, suede, tailor-made, they'd, tirade, trade, Ubaid, underpaid, undismayed, unplayed, unsprayed, unswayed, upbraid, upgrade, wade
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.