Definition of archdiocese in English:
The district for which an archbishop is responsible.
- The archbishop of the Prague archdiocese is the only Czech cardinal.
- From there he went to a parish up in Ulster County, the far reaches of the archdiocese.
- Egan and McCarrick are relative newcomers to their archdioceses.
- Example sentences
- Among the Catholic institutions surveyed (including congregations of religious women and men, healthcare systems, and archdioceses and dioceses), the archdiocesan and diocesan responses were the weakest.
- Next to an official archdiocesan fundraising brochure, I found, early on a weekday morning, a small, homemade stack of leaflets in Spanish with a prayer to Saint Jude, ‘patron of work’
- And in a recent column in the Catholic New World, the archdiocesan newspaper, he called for a renewed civility in debates in the church and in the wider culture.
Words that rhyme with archdiocesediocese, elephantiasis, psoriasis
Definition of archdiocese in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.