A son of the emperor of Austria.
More example sentences
- The next year the death of the emperor Joseph brought the archduke Charles to the imperial throne.
- Once at a cocktail do in one of the vast reception areas where archdukes had cavorted, he languidly asked me to fetch him a canapé.
- It may not be a money-spinner - conventional hoteliers would balk at the thought of changing the flowers or turning paying guests away on a whim - but if archdukes are sleeping in your bedrooms and Sean Connery's in the bar, who cares?
early 16th century: from Old French archeduc, from Merovingian Latin archidux, archiduc-, from archi- 'chief' + dux, duc- (see duke).
- More example sentences
- The shield has on the top the archducal hat of Austria.
- Usually there is also a crown or so called ‘archducal hat’ over the arms of Styria.
- On June 28, 1914, after days of rumors about possible assassination attempts, the archducal car was attacked by means of a bomb thrown from the large surrounding crowds.
Definition of archduke in:
- The British & World English dictionary