Definition of archduke in English:
A son of the emperor of Austria.
- The next year the death of the emperor Joseph brought the archduke Charles to the imperial throne.
- Once at a cocktail do in one of the vast reception areas where archdukes had cavorted, he languidly asked me to fetch him a canapé.
- It may not be a money-spinner - conventional hoteliers would balk at the thought of changing the flowers or turning paying guests away on a whim - but if archdukes are sleeping in your bedrooms and Sean Connery's in the bar, who cares?
- Example sentences
- The shield has on the top the archducal hat of Austria.
- Usually there is also a crown or so called ‘archducal hat’ over the arms of Styria.
- On June 28, 1914, after days of rumors about possible assassination attempts, the archducal car was attacked by means of a bomb thrown from the large surrounding crowds.
Words that rhyme with archdukechibouk, duke, Farouk, fluke, kook, Luke, nuke, peruke, puke, rebuke, Seljuk, snook, souk, spruik, stook, tuque, zouk
Definition of archduke in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan