- 1A band of molding, resembling an architrave, around the lower curve of an arch.More example sentences
- In the Romanesque and Gothic styles, the archivolt frames the tympanum, a richly sculpted panel.
- The imposts of the ground-storey piers were simplified and the moulded archivolts were omitted.
- The recessed entry is located in the tower, and has a round arch with decorative archivolt molding.
- 1.1The lower curve itself from impost to impost of the columns.More example sentences
- The archivolt is comprised of two arches.
- Construction technique, the way the ashlars are worked and the profiles of an archivolt are the only means of dating the discovered walls, and thus the entire building.
- The windows along the south side, which appear from without to be four-centred Gothic arches, are in fact round-headed, with classical archivolts and keystones.
mid 17th century: from French archivolte or Italian archivolto, based on Latin arcus 'bow, arch' + volvere 'to roll'.
More definitions of archivoltDefinition of archivolt in:
- The British & World English dictionary