Definition of archivolt in English:
1A band of molding, resembling an architrave, around the lower curve of an arch.
- In the Romanesque and Gothic styles, the archivolt frames the tympanum, a richly sculpted panel.
- The imposts of the ground-storey piers were simplified and the moulded archivolts were omitted.
- The recessed entry is located in the tower, and has a round arch with decorative archivolt molding.
1.1The lower curve itself from impost to impost of the columns.
- The archivolt is comprised of two arches.
- Construction technique, the way the ashlars are worked and the profiles of an archivolt are the only means of dating the discovered walls, and thus the entire building.
- The windows along the south side, which appear from without to be four-centred Gothic arches, are in fact round-headed, with classical archivolts and keystones.
Definition of archivolt in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia