Definition of archosaur in English:
nounZoology & Paleontology
A reptile of a large group that includes the dinosaurs and pterosaurs, represented today only by the crocodilians.
- Other archosaurs included the pterosaurs, relatives of dinosaurs but not true dinosaurs.
- At the same time, the broad, dry plains of equatorial Pangea provided a proving ground for a strange new group of lightweight, but large-bodied, archosaurs - the dinosaurs.
- The archosaur skull includes two new fenestra (skull openings).
- Example sentences
- The hot dry Pangean deserts of the Triassic would witness the competition between the synapsid proto-mammals that had dominated the land uptil now, and the newly emerged archosaurian reptiles (thecodonts).
- It is interesting that as the archosaurian reptiles were becoming larger, the cynodonts became smaller, perhaps nocturnal.
- The first vertebrates to evolve true flight were the pterosaurs, flying archosaurian reptiles.
Definition of archosaur in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.