Definition of argali in English:
noun (plural same)
The largest wild sheep, which has massive horns and is found in mountainous areas of Asia.
- Ovis ammon, family Bovidae
- The hotspot is also home to a rich variety of ungulates (animals with hooves), including the threatened argali wild sheep.
- Low, rugged mountains criss-cross the desert and are home to argali sheep and Siberian ibex.
- Seeing a desert bighorn sheep in the wild was as exciting for them as seeing the endangered argali (a large Asian bighorn sheep) had been for us when we had the opportunity to visit China the previous year.
late 18th century: from Mongolian.
Definition of argali in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia