Definition of arginine in English:
A basic amino acid that is a constituent of most proteins. It is an essential nutrient in the diet of vertebrates.
- Chemical formula: HN=C(NH2)NH(CH2)3CH(NH2)COOH
- Guanidoacetate itself is formed in the kidney from the amino acids arginine and glycine.
- The amino acids arginine and leucine are noncarbohydrate inducers of insulin.
- The conditionally essential amino acid arginine has also been added to this formula to help support growth factor production.
Late 19th century: from German Arginin, perhaps from Greek arginoeis 'bright-shining, white'.
Definition of arginine in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.