- The chemical element of atomic number 18, an inert gaseous element of the noble gas group. Argon is the most common noble gas, making up nearly one percent of the earth’s atmosphere. (Symbol: Ar)More example sentences
- It is the sixth most abundant gas in the atmosphere after nitrogen, oxygen, argon, carbon dioxide, and neon.
- Initially, I guessed and told her they might package the salad in an inert or nonoxygen atmosphere of nitrogen or maybe argon.
- Gas lasers use gases such as argon, carbon dioxide, neon, and nitrogen.
late 19th century: from Greek, neuter of argos 'idle', from a- 'without' + ergon 'work'.
More definitions of argonDefinition of argon in:
- The British & World English dictionary