Definition of argonaut in English:
A small floating octopus, the female of which has webbed arms like sails and secretes a thin, coiled, papery shell in which the eggs are laid. Also called paper nautilus.
- Genus Argonauta, order Octopoda
- The coleoids include modern squids, cuttlefish, octopuses, and the argonauts or paper-nautilus, together with extinct groups such as the belemnites.
- These ammoniac egg cases/brood chambers closely resemble the female Argonauta shell, produced for this purpose by the adult argonaut.
- One of the most astounding cephalopods is the paper nautilus also known as argonaut.
Definition of argonaut in:
- British & World English dictionary