Definition of arm-twisting in English:
Persuasion by the use of physical force or moral pressure: eight years of arguing and diplomatic arm-twisting
More example sentences
- Ultimately, despite aggressive administration and business arm-twisting, both houses of Congress voted to block the new rule.
- Any arm-twisting or gentle persuasion presumably took place in corridor huddles or late-night conversations.
- Paul Brown Stadium opened in 2000 after years of friendly persuasion and arm-twisting.
- Example sentences
- We'll revise Government guidance which arm-twists councils into unwise speed bump schemes.
- First Roosevelt demanded that Japan quit Indo-China, where the local Vichy-inclined administration had been arm-twisted into a quasi-alliance with Japan, then that Japan vacate China, both on threat of a US oil cut-off.
- His only ally was his younger protégé, Vice President Dick Cheney, who arm-twisted the Bush camp to give Rumsfeld the job of Defense Secretary.
Definition of arm-twisting in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan