- A competition between nations for superiority in the development and accumulation of weapons, especially between the US and the former Soviet Union during the Cold War.More example sentences
- One of the central tenets of arms control theory is that arms control can head off dangerous developments that arise from arms races, thereby contributing to strategic stability and to crisis stability.
- After decades of systematic study, the relationship between arms races and wars remains a contentious issue.
- Thereafter, the inability of Russia to provide cheap conventional weapons to client states also reduced regional arms races dramatically.
More definitions of arms raceDefinition of arms race in:
- The British & World English dictionary