(also arolla pine)
Definition of arolla in English:
A tall pine tree native to the Alps and Carpathian mountains, often planted in dense clumps as an avalanche break.
- Pinus cembra, family Pinaceae
- P. cembra, the Swiss stone pine, has a range which extends eastwards from the Alps; and P. gerardiana is a native of the Himalayas.
- Arc 2000 takes you from the imposing kingdom of arolla pines to the ‘roof of the world’.
- The Aletsch forest with its very old Swiss stone pines is an experience well worth making.
Late 19th century: from Swiss French arol(l)e.
Definition of arolla in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.