Entry from British & World English dictionary
Definition of Arrernte in English:
noun (plural same)
1A member of an Aboriginal people of central Australia.
- Among the Western Arrernte in central Australia, it became over time the resource base for an outstation complex numbering around 40 sites with their organisational hub, the Tjuwanpa Outstation Resource Centre.
- The spirit or soul of a person is called inke or kwerrene in Western Arrernte.
- The small resort, in one of Australia's most beautiful locations, is owned by the Ngurratjuta Corporation, whose activities include investing royalties from nearby oil and gas fields on behalf of Western Arrernte.
2 [mass noun] The language of the Arrernte, now with fewer than 2,000 speakers.
- But his Catholic confessor, who happens to speak Stuart's native language, Arrernte, has doubts.
- There are five Arrernte language dialects: South-Eastern, Eastern, North-Eastern, Northern and Central.
- It's debatable whether the language Veronica Dobson speaks, the old Arrernte, will survive. ‘When the old people die it will die with them,’ she told me.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Arrernte or their language.
- Traditional Arrernte people should have a far greater involvement in the decision making process and meetings should be held in Arrernte language.
- How did Arrernte people keep their babies warm on freezing nights?
- Wait says she did not want to do ‘a sad story ‘and that the centrality of the design is a tribute to the aesthetic structures employed by Eastern Arrernte artists.’
The name in Arrernte.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.