Definition of arrester in English:
noun[usually with modifier]
1A device that prevents or stops a specified thing: a spark arrester a lightning arrester
More example sentences
- Caps also function as spark arrestors, preventing sparks from landing on the roof or other nearby combustible material.
- Typically, chimney sweeps will begin with a physical inspection of your fireplace or wood stove, the chimney or flue pipe, the spark arrestor and any other components of the system.
- Subtle changes have been made to give the operating stock a more correct historic appearance-the C&S-style bear-trap spark arrestors have already thankfully been banished from the operating engines.
1.1A device on an aircraft carrier that slows aircraft after landing by means of a hook and cable.
- The vehicle is robustly built for carrier take-off and landings and uses a conventional wheeled take-off and landing with an arrestor hook.
- A folding wing was designed for carrier use while the rear fuselage was strengthened to handle the arrestor cable hook.
- There was an immediate response from across the base, including maintenance personnel from the Combat Support Unit, who manned an arrester cable on the runway to provide quick release for the jets if they needed it.
Words that rhyme with arresterAvesta, Chester, contester, ester, Esther, fester, fiesta, Hester, investor, jester, Leicester, Lester, molester, Nestor, pester, polyester, protester, quester, semester, sequester, siesta, sou'wester, suggester, tester, trimester, vesta, zester
Definition of arrester in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.